Independent Bookstore Day
Saturday, April 29th is Independent Bookstore Day and we are going to celebrate big time! Please join Birchbark Books for a full day of author appearances, poetry, music, dancing, refreshments, door prizes, and more. Special activities for kids at ARTrageous Adventures. Plenty of fun for the whole family!
Schedule of Events:
- 11am: The spectacular Ramsey's Braggarts Morris Men will dance.
- Noon: Heid E. Erdrich will be reading from her new poetry collection Curator of Ephemera at the New Museum for Archaic Media. Signed ephemera art from Heid's personal collection included with each book purchased
- Noon-2pm: TiWakan will be performing live music poetry. Presented by Oyate Hotanin, TiWakan is led by Dakota elder and poet Strong Buffalo along with his trusty sidekick, The Custard Kid. Plus, Monica Edwards Larson of Sister Black (Bike) Press will be offering free DIY printings of "Poetry Spoke Cards" from her vintage press on the back of a cargo bike.
- 1pm: Cook and author Beth Dooley will be serving tasty bites and signing her new book Savory Sweet: Simple Preserves from a Northern Kitchen.
- 2pm: Robyn Foster will be demonstrating the rare art of birchbark biting, with beautiful pieces available for purchase.
- 3pm: Author Kao Kalia Yang will be signing books, including The Song Poet, winner of the 2017 Minnesota Book Award.
For the Kids:
- 10am-2pm: Stop by ARTrageous Adventures for lemonade, a family fun May Day Creation Station, face painting, and Funky Sidewalk Sale featuring some local arts & crafters.
IBD Passport: 18 Twin Cities bookstores are participating in the Independent Bookstore Day passport giveaway. Pick up your passport at any participating store and receive a passport stamp at each store you visit on IBD. Each stamped page in the passport will entitle you to a special discount on your next visit to that store. In addition, get 5 stamps and receive a wonderful limited edition Twin Cities bookstore map drawn by Kevin Cannon (shown below). Get 10 stamps and enter to win one of 20 First Prize Literary Packs (each a $450+ value). Visit all 18 stores and enter to win the Grand Prize Literary Pack (valued at more than $850). For details about the passport and the prizes, please visit tinyurl.com/bookstorepassport.
Wherever you may be on April 29th, please support your favorite independent bookstore on our special day!